Saturday, May 9, 2015

The Gift of Laughter and Books - Self Care Saturday


Laughter is one of the most powerful self care strategies I can think of. Others might prefer face masks or manicures. A good ole belly laugh that makes me snort and pound on the table while tears stream down my face…now that's the kind of self care I love best. It is extra good if I'm with a good friend. 

So today I indulged. I could tell you about the lovely lunch with my family at a nice restaurant. I could tell you about stopping for the first ice cream of the season from the local cone maker. The best part of the day, however, was the company and the sense of humor and the uncontrollable laughter. 

Ok, so books were a plus. I'm a librarian. 

Almost forgot to mention one of the things that led to hilarity were the Mother's Day socks I received. One pair looks like library check out cards from years gone by and the other was a pair for banned book week. One of the socks has the titles of commonly banned books. The other has words crossed out…censored right off the sock. Perfect gift. 

What makes you laugh? What is your favorite kind of laugh? Who can you feel comfortable to laugh messy with? 



7 comments:

  1. What a unique gift! You will have to show us. My daughter is very funny, and she is always making me laugh. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a funny daughter is a gift! (I know. My daughter makes me laugh and hard.) Happy Mother's Day Su. I know you put so much into your family and home.

      Some day I will photograph the socks and post them. Love my librarian socks.

      Delete
  2. Glad your cats make you laugh. Our rabbit gives me a case of the giggles quite frequently. Happy Mother's Day, Nicole. If you like taking random selfies with your daughter, you might like the Snap Dash app. My daughter and I love it. It gives you random themes for single or group selfies and then sets a timer to take the picture. Very hilarious. Some of our best photos were taken using that app.

    Congratulations on beginning your MLS journey. What program are you enrolled in? I love being a librarian and hope you will too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I would LOVE to see those socks. I'm having a hard time imagining them, but I know someone they would be perfect for (my daughter).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like I'm going to have to post a picture of the socks. I'm getting a number of requests and I like to keep my readers happy! I guess I'll be planning that into one of my Fashion Friday posts.

      Delete
  4. I am late to your "laughing table," Lynda, but am happy to be your newest follower! At the age of 71, I have a lot of memories. One of my "funniest" (this word is in quotation marks because of its awkwardness in this context) was at my mother's wake. At the age of 20, my mother died quite unexpectedly and I was beside myself with grief. A co-worker came to my mother's viewing and took a few moments to talk with me. He said something that made me laugh aloud. When I heard myself laugh at my mother's wake, I immediately became embarrassed and began, again, to cry. My friend touched my arm and said to me, "Your mother will never hear you cry, but she will always hear you laugh." I laugh a lot!

    Thanks for visiting my blog recently and for leaving such a nice comment! I appreciate it so much because it led me here. In the grand scheme of things, we are neighbors. Lynn and Douglas are not so far apart! Enjoy our much-needed rain! Mwah! Kay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, welcome to my laughing table! I'm glad you like a good laugh as I do. It's interesting how we sometimes laugh at difficult times. It is certainly a way to release feelings. It is also a good way to remember people.

      Thanks for joining my blog! I am delighted to have you here. I know I follow you through Bloglovin' so I'll be visiting again sometime soon.

      Delete

Your input makes this journey richer. Your words magically turn a monologue into a conversation. You are appreciated. Thank you for being here.