Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Of Berets and Brussels Sprouts


Who would have thought that my poem for today would be about Brussels Sprouts? They certainly weren't on my radar when I got up this morning.


Last year during National Poetry Month I shared Flicker Flash by Joan Bransfield Graham with my classes. It is a great book of concrete poetry to share with young students. I was particularly enamored with a poem that has both brussels sprouts and chocolate cake in it. After all, I have always threatened my family with brussels sprouts. Turns out that one of my colleagues loves brussels sprouts and wasn't satisfied with merely extolling the virtues of the vegetable. She went home, cooked some and brought them to me as a testimony to their superiority. She sold me hook, line and sinker. 


Today she chased me around the building until she caught up with me after noon. She was holding a brown paper bag and had a big smile on her face. Little did I suspect the joy that was to be mine. More brussels sprouts! What could I do? The poems practically wrote themselves.


First the form I played with yesterday:


Small green heads
thick veins protruding
brussels sprouts




and then:




Mrs. Kendall's brussels sprouts
are lovely and delicious
Not only are they tasty
they are really quite nutritious
I cannot wait to skewer them
my fork waits by the bowl
sometimes I like to cut them
other times I eat them whole
she makes them so much better
than I ever could
If I could make them taste like that
You know I bet I would
Mine don't taste like hers
You know she has the touch
So my dear, dear Mrs. Kendall
I must thank you very much.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lynda!
    Fun poems!
    I love Brussels Sprouts. Just be careful if you reheat them in the microwave--they have a tendency to explode.

    ReplyDelete

Your input makes this journey richer. Your words magically turn a monologue into a conversation. You are appreciated. Thank you for being here.