Wednesday, April 4, 2012

My toothbrush





Today was a great day with the kids. When they heard about my challenge to write a poem for every day of April and that I was going to hold myself accountable by telling them there was cheering. When I asked how many people thought I could do it, there was about 80% support. When I asked how many children will try to submit a poem to my poetry wall, about 90% raised their hands. Remember, these are kindergarten and first grade students! 


The rest of the day got away from me. If I hadn't made the announcement, I probably would have turned in without writing a poem. I don't want to let my students down, so I churned this one out. I know it needs work, but it will do for the challenge. Another thing I am learning through this challenge - I have been writing poetry for adults and I really need to start writing poetry for children. I will turn my efforts in this direction this month. 



My Toothbrush

My toothbrush is pink
It sits by the sink
Waiting for me all day
When we see each other
It says “O brother,
All I wanted to do was play.”

I feel pretty proud
And I tell it outloud
That I have no time for games
I pull out the paste
Squeeze it out on it’s face
While my toothbrush calls me names

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your input makes this journey richer. Your words magically turn a monologue into a conversation. You are appreciated. Thank you for being here.