Monday, June 19, 2017

Beginning the Documenting Process



How many of you start a piece with a concept, a title and a clear vision of what you want to express? That’s what I thought. Not a grand percentage. 

To document your work you will need to name each piece. It may seem difficult to work back and name each one, but if you are planning to track and catalog it must be done. 

Below are the categories I am starting with in my own effort to document my work. Are there other details to add? Yes. Yes, there are. Will I add them to my document later? Maybe. I have created a very simple Google document that you can copy and use for your own documenting. 



Title
byline (including collaborators, if any)
photos
size
medium/materials
date
location
description
artist’s statement

I have created a very simple Google document that you can copy and use for your own documenting. 




The process seems simple enough, doesn’t it? Working through it takes time and perhaps more than one cup of tea. Personally, I am finding it empowering as I see my work together in one place, documented and looking official. 


I’m not berating myself for having not done this sooner and I hope that you will feel just as relaxed. Who knew when I started that this would be something I would feel was necessary? I certainly didn’t know where this art would take me. So the documenting begins in this season. It began when the time was right. I hope you enjoy seeing your work anew as you document it and that you will check in next week as we continue to explore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your input makes this journey richer. Your words magically turn a monologue into a conversation. You are appreciated. Thank you for being here.