Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Flip, Flops, Pockets and Cut Outs with Julie Fei-Fan Balzer

It's getting to be a tradition for me - a class at Kept Creations in Whitman, Massachusetts each summer. This year my daughter took the class with me! Double the fun. Notice that even after washing up we were covered in paint. 














This year I took a class called Flips, Flops, Pockets and Cut-outs with Julie Fei-Fan Balzer. It is always inspiring to meet and get direct instruction from someone you have been following and learning from online. Julie has been a big inspiration for me in so many ways.


 

We started with cut outs. Thinking I could make a better circle, I traced inside some tape to make my shape. That didn't leave me much wiggle room. 


While I like my first attempts, I note to myself that next time I will try making a bigger cut out for this technique. It gives room for the possible. 




Expanding on our cutting techniques, this beauty emerged. 
What a surprise it was! 
Who knew I could make this kind of thing? 




 Always the rebel, I tried making paisley shaped pages. We will see how they work out in the end. Currently they remind me that I am adventurous. 


Here are some of the flaps I made. On the first few you can see how the flaps were integrated by painting the background. 









And a paisley flap! Imagine that! When the background is done it will look quite a bit different. 



It took two days for the paint to be removed from this lovely pair of hands. 



Julie is an amazing instructor. Her class is packed full of techniques and ideas. She has humor, energy and is quick to encourage. If you have a chance to take her class, do it! 




Cool idea from another participant of the class. Store washi tape on embroidery floss holders. 



Taking classes provides information, inspiration and the company of others - all things that push us forward. This was a wonderful experience for me. 

Julie posted about the class on her website. If you like a better look at the class look here: 
http://balzerdesigns.typepad.com/balzer_designs/2016/07/three-classes-at-kept-creations.html

2 comments:

  1. I would so loved to have been with you! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have enjoyed having you there with me! I'm sure you would have enjoyed the day! There was so much to take in. I have shown you some of the bits I tried, but there was so much more.

      Delete

Your input makes this journey richer. Your words magically turn a monologue into a conversation. You are appreciated. Thank you for being here.