Sunday, March 1, 2015

Artcademy March Blog Challenge - Day 1 - Spring





Artcademy is hosting a March Blog Challenge and I thought it would be just the thing to jumpstart me into blogging regularly once again - something I have been wanting to do. 

Today's challenge:

What does spring mean to you? Share your thoughts, pictures, and events that make you think of spring.



To be honest, I am thinking about Spring a lot lately. Yesterday I felt Spring in the air, gently whistling to me in the sweet sounds that birds make in Spring. There may be tons of snow on the ground and more falling from the sky, but Spring is just around the corner. 


I found myself looking at the snow drifts and imagining the bulbs that are waiting under those blankets of snow. This much snow and cold will mean glorious flowers this spring. 


Today I asked my daughter what her favorite Spring flowers were. She answered by asking me. To be honest, my favorite flowers are the late Spring variety - violets, lilacs and lily of the valleys. I am very fond of narcissus and tulips and love how they herald in the season. 

Looking through my photos of springtime I found some of my favorite gardens and got excited for the lovely season to come. 



This was taken during their Daffodil Days. The daffodils here are huddled around trees as if looking for sanctuary from the cold wind that whips off of Narraganset Bay. Being there at this time of year is refreshing. Quite like drinking a class of ice water when you are parched. Spring fulfills it's promises at Blithewold. 


Later come the cherry blossoms down by the Water Garden. How could I have left cherry blossoms off of my list of favorite spring flowers? They could be at the top of the list depending on the day. 

Fiddle Head Ferns are so delightful to look at ….and to eat! 


The daffodils above were photographed at Tower Hill Botanic Garden in Boylston, MA. The field of daffodils is gargantuan! This photo only captures a small fragment of the field. 

Thinking about the warm of Spring and these lovely places to enjoy the season, I am quite excited. Perhaps I'll have to look at my calendar and write some flower viewing trips in before the days become claimed by something much less worthy and much more practical. 

Hope you do the same. 

(Note: All photographs taken in years past. Currently there is plenty of snow on the ground and enough falling out of the sky to warrant at least a two hour delay for tomorrow. Ask I bundle myself up I remind myself that the flowers this year will be spectacular. )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your input makes this journey richer. Your words magically turn a monologue into a conversation. You are appreciated. Thank you for being here.