Friday, July 13, 2012

Back Pack, Bucket or Wicker Basket


Much has been written about bucket lists. Those lists of things you want to do, places you want to go and experiences you want to have before your time in this world is over. Sometimes I think about adding something to my list. The problem is that I have never started one.

A few weeks ago, I started thinking about it because I did something that I could have crossed off such a list.

If you’ve never heard of Brimfield you may not know that they hold a huge antique sale/flea market. You may not know that people fly in from all over the country to attend this event. Well, I've known for more than ten years, but had never found the time to go and experience it. So it was a wonderful Mother’s Day that I made my first visit. 

I was attracted to this shop like a magpie.

Here is my purchase.


I enjoyed it so much I went back this week for the July event. I made it a point to park in the church parking lot. This church has done so much for the community since the tornado hit last June. I have been very impressed with their strong and continued response.

There is plenty to see. We walked around and saw such a mix. Some booths were grand cacophonies of stuff. Plenty of treasure to be unearthed. Other booths were impeccably decorated like upscale boutiques.

We made purchases in two shops. The first, Thoreauly Antiques from Concord, MA, features beautiful items for home decorating. I bought a string of crystal from an old chandelier. I bought them as raw materials for a project that will even surprise me.



My passion for fiber arts brought me back to Candace of The Scarlet Lady, the shop I delighted in last time. Millinery flowers, lace, trim, and lovely vintage clothing and home goods are the specialty of this shop.


I stocked up on the tiny lace that I use for making doll clothing.

By this time we were dehydrated so we stopped for a cup of freshly squeezed lemonade. Did it ever taste good? (Yes, it did. It hit the spot.)

Going to Brimfield was just as enjoyable an experience as I had imagined. 

Pen in hand, I’m ready to make a list of things I want to do so I can remember and do them. Still, I just can’t bear to call my list a “bucket list”. The things I’m placing in my list are just too special to me for that. I’m toying with making several lists:

A wicker basket list for all those elegant experiences I revel in
A backpack list for all the travel I hope to do
A shredder list for all the things I hope to let go of
A furoshiki list for all those friendships that I hope to nurture

Do you keep a list? What do you call it? 

1 comment:

  1. This brought back memories, Lynda. I love your photos and your purchases. I too, buy things I'm not exactly sure how I'll use until the time comes (sometimes years later) when I use them. I don't have a bucket list but I like your idea of basket lists and all... a nice twist!
    Thanks for sharing all this.

    ReplyDelete

Your input makes this journey richer. Your words magically turn a monologue into a conversation. You are appreciated. Thank you for being here.